For Spiced Butter:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Half-gallon (64 ounces) all natural apple cider
- Spiced Butter
- cinnamon sticks (optional)
1. Make spiced butter by combining butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a small bowl. Use a plastic spatula to transfer butter mixture to the middle of a 12″ x 12″ piece of plastic wrap. Fold plastic wrap over butter mixture and shape into a log, twisting ends to seal closed. *Or put into a Container and scoop with spoon when soft. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Bring apple cider to a simmer over medium heat in a large pot, then turn heat to low. Remove spiced butter from plastic wrap and cut into 1-inch pieces. Add to hot cider and stir continuously until all butter is melted.
3. Ladle buttered cider into mug, garnish with cinnamon stick if desired. Serve hot.
*Sometimes, I will just put some onto a spoon and give it to them to stir into their drink for themselves!