What you’ll need:
- 1 small-medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 28-oz. bag shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 c. sour cream
- 1 10-oz. can cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom) soup
- 2 1/4 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- OPTIONAL: Crushed cornflakes, seasoned bread crumbs, crushed potato chips, or crushed Ritz or saltine crackers
Preheat oven to 350. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat. Add the thawed hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheese, salt, and pepper and combine well. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Spread the mixture into a 9×13″ (or similar) dish (if you want a crunchy topping, you can add crushed cornflakes, seasoned bread crumbs, or even crushed saltines to the casserole before you bake it) and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the casserole is hot in the center and the cheese is bubbly throughout. Serve as a main dish with a salad and fruit or alongside roasted ham, turkey, chicken, or beef. Makes 6-8 main dish or 10-12 side dish servings.